Someone told me once that if you listen close enough to this song, you can hear a female voice in the background at a certain point. I found this at 3.58.
But I don't care if I fuck up, I'm going on a date with a rich white lady, aint life great? Give me one good reason not to do it. - 'Cause I love you. - So do it.
Now I can hear it everytime I listen. I wait for it.
You told me all about Mocking Birds, and their singing, and studies, and their intelligence.
Mockingbirds are said to have elaborate songs and each bird has a certain amount of talent in relation to their ability to sing. Mockingbirds who tend to have a more elaborate and complex song may have developed it for several reasons. One factor contributing to the complexity of their song is the habitat with which they live. High levels of competition, or a shortage of resources often mean that the 'smarter' birds will survive, a sort of natural selection. As the birds are more intelligent they have a bigger capacity to learn more, they will also attempt to make more impressive songs, including more notes and of longer length than average.
This ability to sing more complex songs is assumed to deem intelligence by female mockingbirds. Therefore, the more complex the song, the smarter the bird, the more desired mate.
I'm trying to find papers on this. "Taken together, these results suggest that the exaggerated singing abilities of male tropical mockingbirds are a product of strong selection via female choice that does not end with the establishment of social pair bonds." (Botero; 2008)
It's rumoured they are going to investigate this further, then attempt to apply it to humans.
There have already been many studies into sexual preference. Symmetry is said to be an idicater of good geners therefore humans are naturally more attracted to those that are more symetrical, especially in facial features. Although apparently a good indicator of symmetry is a persons ability to dance. Women were shown animated net/grid figures dancing, they were based on real people, women were more likely to pick those animated figures who had a higher level of symmetry. They were unaware it was a test into sexual preference, they were told to simply pick the dance they most enjoyed.
Studies into 'Sexual Preference' always amuse me.
Botero, C. A. (2008). Ecology, function, and information content of song in the tropical mockingbird - Mimus Gilvus. Dissertation Abstracts International, 68(8-b), 4946.
But I don't care if I fuck up, I'm going on a date with a rich white lady, aint life great? Give me one good reason not to do it. - 'Cause I love you. - So do it.
Now I can hear it everytime I listen. I wait for it.
You told me all about Mocking Birds, and their singing, and studies, and their intelligence.
Mockingbirds are said to have elaborate songs and each bird has a certain amount of talent in relation to their ability to sing. Mockingbirds who tend to have a more elaborate and complex song may have developed it for several reasons. One factor contributing to the complexity of their song is the habitat with which they live. High levels of competition, or a shortage of resources often mean that the 'smarter' birds will survive, a sort of natural selection. As the birds are more intelligent they have a bigger capacity to learn more, they will also attempt to make more impressive songs, including more notes and of longer length than average.
This ability to sing more complex songs is assumed to deem intelligence by female mockingbirds. Therefore, the more complex the song, the smarter the bird, the more desired mate.
I'm trying to find papers on this. "Taken together, these results suggest that the exaggerated singing abilities of male tropical mockingbirds are a product of strong selection via female choice that does not end with the establishment of social pair bonds." (Botero; 2008)
It's rumoured they are going to investigate this further, then attempt to apply it to humans.
There have already been many studies into sexual preference. Symmetry is said to be an idicater of good geners therefore humans are naturally more attracted to those that are more symetrical, especially in facial features. Although apparently a good indicator of symmetry is a persons ability to dance. Women were shown animated net/grid figures dancing, they were based on real people, women were more likely to pick those animated figures who had a higher level of symmetry. They were unaware it was a test into sexual preference, they were told to simply pick the dance they most enjoyed.
Studies into 'Sexual Preference' always amuse me.
Botero, C. A. (2008). Ecology, function, and information content of song in the tropical mockingbird - Mimus Gilvus. Dissertation Abstracts International, 68(8-b), 4946.
1 comment:
Between 2004 and 2005 I was really into Elliott Smith. He was just about all I listened to at one point. I remember when I first found out about that part in the song you mentioned. Supposedly, it's his girlfriend (who may or may not have killed him) and maybe one other girl. I can't quite remember if there was another girl singing or not.
Anyways, "King's Crossing" remains one of the most haunting songs I know of. There's the street talk at the beginning and the swirling of Elliott's voice. Then the creepy piano starts. I love it. It really tops everything off when he sings, "...dead men talk to all the pretty nurses..." towards the end. So yeah, I'm a pretty big Elliott fan. I've got all his albums and a biography even. If he really did kill himself, he went out like a man. Stabbing yourself twice in the chest sounds very intense.
You might find this interesting:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/esmithaut1.html
Oh yeah, it's funny that you mentioned Mockingbirds. Where I'm from (Mississippi), that's the state bird. It's illegal to kill Mockingbirds. There's a funny line in a movie/book called TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD that goes something like, "It would be shameful to kill a Mockingbird. All they ever do is sing their pretty songs." That's highly paraphrased.
Good read.
kudos!
Post a Comment