I have started drinking tea. I am not sure if I like it. My Gran offers me tea and it seems rude to say no. It fills the silence when neither of us can think of something to say. Now I make the tea because she can't lift the kettle. She has to get a smaller kettle now that Granddad isn't there to lift it. I always put sugar in my tea. When I was younger I was in a pantomime group. They always had tea for people in the break. It was always in white plastic cups. I remember wanting to drink it like everyone else. I didn't really like it. I put 4 spoonfuls of sugar in the white plastic cup. You couldn't really taste the tea. I put the sugar in when nobody was looking. I was overwhelmingly proud when I drank my tea just like everyone else. Now I don't put as much sugar in. Sometimes I still put more sugar in when my Gran isn't looking. She might tell me off. She might not offer me tea again. Then what will fill the silences?
Tuesday, 19 May 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i enjoyed reading this. it reminded me of staying at my great-grandmother's house when i was very young. she spent a lot of time in the kitchen cooking. she seemed like she really enjoyed it. we would always have talks in the kitchen while she cooked. she's probably been the best person i've ever met in life. i wish she was still around. i feel like i would be motivated to be a better person then.
i think it's funny that you like putting sugar in your tea. you would fit right in if you ever found yourself in the southern states of the U.S. here, we're famous for making sweet tea. we pretty much don't make it any other way. the northern states aren't so accustomed to "sweet tea." if you go to a restaurant in the north they will look at you funny if you order sweet tea, if they even know what you're talking about.
anyway, this post warmed my heart.
i hope some lightness flows into you soon.
Post a Comment